Gatsby Picnic 2007
I was invited to the Art Deco Society's 2007 Gatsby Picnic today by a friend, Nancy. The weather is usually pretty warm in Oakland this time of year, but today was cloudy and cool! Perfect costuming weather!! Below are just a few of the pics I took to give you an idea of what it was like! (If you click the link/title it will give you lots more info and pics of the Art Deco Society and the Gatsby Picnic they host.) Oh, and if you click on a pic, it will enlarge.
When we first got there, we were taken from the gate to the site of the picnic in one of many antique cars! This is the view of ours from where I was sitting.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to get a pic of the outside of it till it was driving away. (Note Nancy walking past on the right.)
Nancy is a member of the Costumers' Guild (I think that's the name ;-D ) and here's their picnic locale where we also set up and ate.
There were lots of cars to ogle. These are just a few...
Me in front of the one I liked best. (I made the dress and necklace the night before...)
The guests were asked to bring as many period-like details as possible. Thus, we saw everything from antiques to replicas of dishes, baskets, transportation devices, clothing, and oh so much more!
Sorry about the side view- not sure how to prevent that...
This car won the award they give out for favorite vehicle this year. The announcer described it as "sex on wheels".
They had a live band playing. Both the music and the dancing talent were awesome!!!
They host a period bathing suit "competition" where the girls also perform to a choreograohed song. So cute!
I liked alot of them, but I think the red/white one is my favorite!


We're not exactly sure what type of vehicle this is, but figure its gotta be some sort of early motorcycle or something?
Here stands Nancy, friend Aaron, and me.
Morgan took some extra pics after we got home, so those who care can see the dress a bit better. Unfortunately, it's pretty crumpled at this point, but at least you can get the idea. Not bad for one night's work without a pattern, eh? I made the necklace, too, and it almost too took longer that making the dress did!


1 comment:
Hello,
Wow, that looks like it was really fun! I love the cars, the period clothes, items and everything was quite neat to look at...(and no, despite what you may be thinking, it was not during my early years as a young adult!)...
Thanks for sharing, I thought your outfit was quite good, and it looks like you had fun, that's the important thing. Morgan, thanks for the extra pics!
Love you guys,
Dad (FnL)
Post a Comment