July 18, 2007

Beyer



Hey Morgan,
Beyer's so cute! Ya know how Whew follows me around everywhere, well here it's always Beyer and usually Picard too. It amazed me how agile, puppy-like, and lithe he was as he managed not to get stepped on chasing me around and how eagerly he snuffles the yard looking for something to chase, considering he's 14 and a good bit deaf...
Well, we had to put Beyer to sleep this morning.
He seemed all good last night, from what I can remember. But, when Mom woke me up to do Pilates, I wasn't feeling good, & told Mom I'd pass. I went to the bathroom so I could go back to sleep, he was laying in front of the bathroom door unmoving (which isn't too uncommon in and of itself except I would have noticed his ears and tail weren't moving- which is real uncommon and a bad sign- if I could have seen him) I didn't have my glasses on. If I hadn't been so groggy and lazy, I would have noticed he was behaving oddly. Unfortunately, I went back to sleep and Mom wasn't paying attention either and went to Connie's to work out. She woke me back up at 8am to check on him when she noticed he was in the same spot as earlier. So, who knows how long the poor old man was trapped there unable to move.
Anyhow, I got up immediately and knew as soon as I saw him that he was going to have to be put down. I sat with him and put his head on my lap so he could smell me (crotch is the best place for dogs to make identifications, after all, lol) while Mom called the local vet. The vet wasn't going to take him till 10am, which I said was nonsense and made Mom take us then and there. I picked him up, causing unpreventable pain in his bloated abdomen, but he was a total trooper and didn't squirm much or even try and bite me. He's such a good dog. My lifting him must have put too much pressure on his bladder, though, cause he soaked me good.
Anyways, Dad met us at the vet (his shift just getting over) and as soon as the vet staff saw me carrying a limp Beyer (who's always acted the puppy) they rushed us in and put him down immediately.
He went quickly, as most do, though it was weird to find that it hurt as much to see him go as all the pets at the shelter did, no more, no less. I thought that was strange. Though, I miss him more, of course. He was such a good dog and we were such bad owners. I should have spent more time with him 'cause I knew deep down he would likely pass while I was here. I need to learn to pay more attention to my instincts and to act on them more often.
So, Dad had to go to his second job and Mom and I came back to bury him in the hill behind their house, next to Keisha. I'd like to say I was a total bad ass and dug the hole myself, but my balance isn't great and shoveling is quite awkward on the side of a steep hill. I did manage to help and not to fall down, though, and I was able to carry him up to the hole. I just hope we made it deep enough...
Well, I guess I'll go eat breakfast, take my meds and Tylenol, take a shower and then have a nap.

I miss you.
-Me
PS: I thought I handled everything pretty well, all said and done.

No comments: