A Friend's Friendly Thought
(A friend of mine included the sentiments below in her spring newsletter. She's a yoga gewru, thus the yoga references.)
"On Loving.....
This last year the question I have been personally devoted to (not always out of choice but out of necessity) is, 'what do I do with all this love?' I have the immense privilege of having an occupation where I get to 'love for a living.' It is very easy to do given the kinds of people who come into my life every day. Each person is best loved in very unique ways. Some people require a listening ear, others require touch, some need to laugh, while others require space -- and of course the needs change with the day. What I continue to find (sometimes gracefully, sometimes not so gracefully) is that it often requires getting out of my own way, giving up my own agenda and listening to what is needed in the moment. Living with a full heart also known as living in bliss, the final limb of the eight limbs of yoga. The bliss referred to in yogic philosophy arrives from our capacity to be present to ourselves, to one another and the moment. Loving one another is the ultimate art form worthy of constant practice. The risk to love is the ground upon which one learns. But failing is a victorious sign of engagement, that one was willing to try and fall down and get back up again and try some more. Loving ourselves and each other is the essential practice for which a series of yoga postures are truly just a warm up. When one meets the moment and another person with what was needed, true union between two people is achieved. When that happens its a beautiful thing, not meant for just those we deem 'close' in our lives, but for everyone that steps in and out of our sphere. The ultimate challenge? Probably.. but it makes us feel our beating hearts, and it certainly makes it worth getting out of bed for in the morning.....
And so with that I offer up this quotation:
Don't forget love.It will bring you all the madness you need to unfurl yourself across the universe.- Mirabai"
No comments:
Post a Comment